Why should we take cover out for our kids??
Medical aid may cover medical expenses initially, but ongoing costs can skyrocket due to:
- care needed for the child
- a special diet
- transport costs to and from treatments
- time off work for mom or dad, etc
These are all very real costs when a child is ill.
I have pulled the Health24 June 2017, showing stats of our children in South Africa.
- In South Africa, excess body weight is a massive problem, but not only in adults – 13% of children are overweight or obese – more than double the global average of 5%. Sanlam suggests by year 2025 this figure could increase to 25%.
- While increasing heart disease and diabetes rates are directly linked to the global obesity epidemic, the link between cancer and excess fat is lesser known.
- According to the study, there is evidence to support a “causal relationship” between excess body weight and cancers of the oesophagus, colon, rectum, liver, gallbladder, biliary tract, pancreas, breast, uterus, ovary, kidney, thyroid and leukaemia.
- Sanlam Child Illness & Injury : The Child: Illness and injury benefit pays a lump sum in the event of a child life insured suffering a defined dread disease, injury, impairment or infection-type claim event.
- What are children covered for under the Child Illness & Injury : Table included in the Sales Aid, attached.
- Competitively priced – Despite the fact that we are covering a list of 81 claim events with this benefit, of which 24 events are totally unique in the market, the benefit is still very competitively priced, as shown in the tables.
- No invasive medical underwriting
- No waiting period, except Anorexia which has a 1 year waiting period.
- Multiple claim rules : Each claim reduces the cover amount until the latter runs out. If the same cause results in simultaneous claims, and we admit a claim, we will only pay for the claim event with the highest percentage of the cover amount in the table above, despite anything to the contrary in the plan.
- Pre-existing conditions will be excluded.
- BMI is not a rating requirement
Quote : must have parent / guardian as policy owner
Child must be Life Insured
Child must be age 2 ANB
Add parent, add child
Parent does not need any benefits, if only taking cover for child.
Child cover ranges to R160 maximum.
No medical underwriting for the children.
Child is covered for R500 000 or R1 000 000 depending on policy owner class and rating
Max guaranteed term is 10 years. If you select 15 years, it will not allow you to quote or finalise.
TO SUBMIT, MUST HAVE COPY OF CHILD BIRTH CERTIFICATE OR ID – Case will be blocked without this document, for each child on the application.